Free Pattern: Snowflake Sugar Cookie Scarf

SnowflakeTwinkieSmallcombo

Here’s another pattern that was originally on Michaels.com in Dec 2013!

“I wanted to round out our craft-tastic 2013 with a pattern for one of my yummy food scarves, so I asked my Facebook fans for advice on which holiday pattern they’d like to see most. The winning votes went to this Snowflake Sugar Cookie Scarf, which I really love because it celebrates the season and has a sugary elegance without being too over the top. For a quicker project, you can work up a single snowflake sugar cookie and turn it into a brooch or hair piece. Happy Holidays and a sweet New Year!”

Snowflake Sugar Cookie Scarf
Designed by Twinkie Chan

Materials List

• Crochet Hook, size H8/5.00mm
  • Crochet Hook, size J10/6.0mm
  • Lion Brand® Homespun® in Deco (1 skein)
  • Lily® Sugar ‘n Cream® in Robin’s Egg (2 balls)
  • Red Heart® Shimmer™ in Snow (approx. 100 yards or half a ball)
  • scissors or yarn cutter
  • tapestry needle
  • optional: beads, white sewing thread and needle

Gauge

Loops & Threads™ Charisma™: 13 sc x 14 rows = 4 inches x 4 inches

Caron® Simply Soft®: 16 sc x 20 rows = 4 inches x 4 inches

Lion Brand® Vanna’s Choice®: 15 sc x 18 rows = 4 inches x 4 inches

Abbreviations

ch(s) = chain(s)
dc = double crochet
hdc = half double crochet
htr = half triple crochet
sc = single crochet
sk = skip
sl st = slip stitch
st(s) = stitch(es)
[ ] = repeat what is inside the brackets the number of times indicated

Special Stitches

Picot: Ch 3, then sk 1st 2 chs and sl st into 3rd ch from hook.

Notes

– If you substitute yarns, remember that your Sugar Cookie Base yarn needs to be thicker/chunkier than your Blue Icing yarn. Otherwise, both pieces will be the exact same size, and you won’t get the same illusion of icing on top of a cookie.

Snowflake1Primary Sugar Cookie Base – Make 1

With Deco and J hook, make magic circle, or ch 3 and sl st to 1st ch to form ring.

Rnd 1: Ch 2 and work 12 hdc into ring. Sl st to 1st hdc to join. (12)

Rnd 2: Ch 2 and work 2 hdc in each st. Sl st to 1st hdc to join. (24)

Rnd 3: [Sk 1 st. In the next st, work 2 dc, 1 htr, picot, 1 htr, and 2 dc. Sk 1 st, then 1 sl st in next st] 6 times. (48)

Break off. Weave in ends.

Joining Sugar Cookie Base – Make as many as you wish for your desired scarf length. I made 15.

Snowflake2

You will be working this part of the scarf in a join-as-you-go manner, so that you don’t have to sew all your sugar cookies together later or deal with a bunch of extra ends to weave in. You’ll do this by partially working the Primary Sugar Cookie Base first.

Rnd 1-2: Repeat Rnd 1-2 of Primary Sugar Cookie Base.

Rnd 3: : [Sk 1 st. In the next st, work 2 dc, 1 htr, picot, 1 htr, and 2 dc. Sk 1 st, then 1 sl st in next st] 4 times. [Sk 1 st. In the next st, work 2 dc, 1 htr, then work the ch 3 of your picot. Before completing the picot, take your loop off the hook, then insert hook from front-to-back into the space below a picot from Primary Sugar Cookie Base while also re-grabbing the dropped loop from Joining Sugar Cookie Base. Complete the picot by working a sl st in the 3rd ch from hook, thus capturing and joining the two cookie bases together. Continuing in the same st as the picot,1 htr and 2 dc. Sk 1 st, then 1 sl st in next st.] 2 times.

Break off and weave in ends.

Keep crocheting Joining Sugar Cookie Bases and linking your cookies together until your scarf is your desired length, making sure that the Cookies always form a straight line.

Blue Icing – Make 16

Snowflake3

With Robin’s Egg and H hook, make magic circle, or ch 3 and sl st to 1st ch to form ring.

Rnd 1: Ch 2 and work 12 hdc into ring. Sl st to 1st hdc to join. (12)

Rnd 2: Ch 2 and work 2 hdc in each st. Sl st to 1st hdc to join. (24)

Rnd 3: [Sk 1 st. In the next st, work 1 hdc, 1 dc, 1 htr, picot, 1 htr, 1 dc, and 1 hdc. Sk 1 st, then 1 sl st in next st] 6 times. (48)

Break off leaving about a yard of yarn for sewing and weave in the other end.

White Icing – Make 16

If you are more comfortable with embroidering details, you can use Snow and a tapestry needle to embroider different styles of snowflake designs. The following is a simple snowflake crochet pattern.

Special Stitch: “branch.” To work a branch, ch 3, sk 1st ch, then work 1 sl st each in remaining 2 chs.

Snowflake4

With Snow and H hook, ch 8 and sl st to 1st ch to form ring.

Rnd 1: [Ch 4, work branch 3 times, then 1 sl st each in remaning 4 chs. Sl st into ring to join] 6 times. Break off leaving a yard of yarn for sewing. Weave in other end.

Assembly

1. Sew all the White Icings to the tops of the Blue Icings. It’s okay if the back of Blue Icing is ugly, because this will be hidden anyway. I actually prefer to sew the White Icing down with sewing thread and a needle, but you can use yarn and a tapestry needle, too.

2. If you want to sew on decorative beads, now is the time.

3. Sew all Blue Icings to the tops of the Sugar Cookie Bases.

Snowflake5

Snowflakebig1smalll

*The instructions for this project are intended for personal use only. Please do not copy, re-distribute, or sell these instructions or the items you make using these instructions without my permission. Thank you!*

This entry was posted in Crochet, Patterns & How-To's and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Free Pattern: Snowflake Sugar Cookie Scarf

1. Tina says:

Yippee! I can’t wait to get the yarn and start this. Thank you!!!!

2. Em says:

God bless you for posting free patterns and shit. You are just too nice!

3. karen kwan says:

Thanks for the oh-so-yummy pattern — my mouth is just drooling to eat those cookies! BTW — I get so many compliments on my Hello Kitty scarf — can’t wait for winter to wear it again!!

4. Hillary says:

Will one ball of super size sugar and cream work or would you still need two? We’re heading to disney world around Christmas and I’m making scarves! After this one, I’m going to work on the gingerbread boy scarf from your book.

5. anneke says:

Thank you! This is stunning!

6. Marty says:

What a delicious looking scarf…..I just love it,,,,,thank you so much for sharing something so special….

7. Judy says:

Thank you for sharing these!! I’m half way done with one candy dot scarf now 🙂 planning on making this for a good friend for Christmas!

8. Tina says:

Finally starting my scarf and since it’s a fun shaped scarf, I thought I should actually check out the gauge since I haven’t worked with the homespun yarn. But, the gauge yarn doesn’t match the pattern yarn… Do you have pattern yarn gauges? 🙂 Thanks, Tina

Hi! I’m not sure what you are asking?

The gauge that I note in my pattern is the gauge that I worked in, and it may not match the yarn label that I used.

• Tina says:

Sorry… The yarns you note in your pattern are Lion Brand Homespun, Lily Sugar ‘n Cream and Red Heart Shimmer, but the gauge section reads different yarns – Loops and Threads, Caron Simply Soft and Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice. I don’t know yarns well enough to know if they are the same sizes. Should I try the pattern yarns (which I have) and use the gauge sizes of the different yarns noted in the gauge section and try and match them up? Or, am I missing something? I am pretty new to crochet. Thanks!

• TwinkieChan says:

OH I see what you’re saying! Nobody pointed that out before. Sorry! I’m on the wrong computer for my patterns, but I’ll go dig up that info and edit the blog!

9. Andrea says:

I’m making this for my niece who loves Frozen (and cookies hehe) and I ADORE it so far!! Everyone I’ve shown immediately says they look delicious and they want to eat it! Thank you so much for sharing this pattern 🙂

10. Lori K says:

I’m living this! But for some reason my pints don’t look quite right and it’s looking more like a snow flake than a star. I poked up directions for a half triple stitch and all I could find was a half treble stitch. Is that the same thing? If not I suppose that’s what’s wrong with it. I don’t mind the snowflake look, would just rather do stars to look like cookies instead.

• TwinkieChan says:

Hi! Yeah, the triple/treble are the same thing as long as you’re looking at US terms and not UK.
      It’s hard for me to tell what was going on without a photo? It’s supposed to look like a snowflake? 6 points, not 5?

11. Jha says:

I was so excited when I saw this pattern because I just love how they look like little sugar cookies! Sadly, I’m having issues with the points. I guess I’m not understanding how exactly to do it. Is it like when you’re doing corners in granny squares?

12. Valerie says:

I randomly found your designs in Instagram,I love your work! And I’ll be making this scarf tonight,with luck I’ll be done by Xmas.
    Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful and whimsical patterns with the world, happy holidays from New Jersey! ^.^

13. Pingback: 11/6/14 Free Crochet Pattern Links | Free Crochet Patterns

14. Pingback: 33 Crochet Snowflake Patterns | Guide Patterns

15. marcela says:

hello you could make a video being part of this scarf because they do not understand because I am a beginner, please

• TwinkieChan says:

It would be impossible for me to have enough time to make videos for all my patterns, but I will definitely put it on the consideration list.

16. Pingback: Yummy Cookie Crochet Scarf by Suzy Dias. Design by Twinkie Chan.

17. Caitlin Mahala Leahy says:

So, I know this isn’t what you intended for your scarf, but your design has inspired me for what I’m trying to create for a little girl. She’s a 6 year old that was in a bad accident on Mother’s Day and has been left with a hole from a tracheotomy and crushed vocal cords among other serious issues… She’s always been a girly girl, very into Disney princesses, and especially Elsa (Frozen). Using your sugar cookie snowflake pattern, I’m making one snowflake to turn into a necklace/collar as a Elsa-inspired stoma cover so she can feel pretty and less self conscious. I just wanted to say thank you… I know this is nowhere near what you planned for your pattern, but you’re helping a girl that has defeated all the survival odds feel a little bit more optimistic about her future.

• TwinkieChan says:

Hi Caitlin, thank you so much for sharing this with me. It’s so special and I’m so happy that this pattern might bring her a smile 🙂