Audrey II Halloween Tree from Little Shop of Horrors

“Excuse me, but I couldn’t help but notice that strange and interesting plant in the window!”

Treetopia invited me to join their “13 Haunting Tales” Halloween tree campaign, and even though I had just completed my edible ornaments tree, I loved the idea of decorating my 7.5 foot Tuxedo Black in the theme of a favorite/classic Halloween character.

I went through several classic ideas and randomly became obsessed with re-creating Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors. She’s not classically Halloween-y, but HORROR is in the movie title, so it seemed Halloween appropriate!

We also decorated a matching Tuxedo Black wreath that Treetopia kindly gifted us. Manda actually started to decorate the wreath before the tree while I was still at work. It was a nice visual exercise that helped establish what the tree would end up looking like.

Here’s the little sketch that I started with to help guide us:

We decided to name our tree Audrey III, especially because there are three big heads!

To get a really moody/creepy feel, I bought some green light bulbs to cast an eerie glow onto the whole scene.

Audrey III looks awesome whether it’s night or day, LED lights on or off!

All of our Audrey heads are paper mache. We bought 2 different sizes of balloons and started with a glue and water mixture. However, the glue was taking forever to dry AND it didn’t feel like it was hardening, so we decided to switch to a flour and water mixture, which was much better. We also turned on a space heater and a regular fan to keep warm air circulating in our garage to expedite the dry time.

It was really exciting to get to the part where we cut them open!

Manda took the lead on designing how we would paint all the heads. I was like, “Make a chart, like a makeup chart for a fashion show.” She also painted all of the leaves, vines, and the flowers that are on the backs of the little heads. This was an extremely collaborative project, which was super fun. As usual, there was not a lot of time to work on this, so ideas were thrown out quickly and decisions were made on a dime. There are still a lot of little details, like ivy leaves around paper vines and putting together a flower-shop feel with some of our real plants and some artificial ones. The house has never felt so jungle-y and I am so into it!

15 Replies to “Audrey II Halloween Tree from Little Shop of Horrors”

1. Robin Cherry says:

Are these available for purchase?

1. TwinkieChan says:

Hi Robin. Thanks so much for asking. No, they are not, unfortunately. We encourage you to try to make your own!

2. I love this so much! I’ve been totally obsessed with collecting the fly traps at Target and Michaels and got a live plant and an outfit, I’m just missing this

1. TwinkieChan says:

If you have some time on your hands, you can make your own! We used paper mache over balloons and a bunch of paint.

3. Cat Gray says:

Hello,
    First off, I I am loving your work, and secondly I have not decorated in over 2 years cuz I got very sick and was in the hospital for about a year and when I came across this I knew it was something that I would love to have I’m just trying to figure out your pricing and shipping and all that good stuff I currently live in the state of Oklahoma. I currently sont work due to health and I have a 13 year old son whose dad is deployed so as you see things are tight. Sorry if tmi. May I get price list, as well as, other items you make?

Thanks in Advance
    Cat Gray
    (850)225-6249

1. TwinkieChan says:

Hi, Cat. Thank you so much for loving our tree! We spent $200+ dollars on materials alone, and it took us a week to make and paint everything. Plus shipping large objects gets very expensive. So unfortunately we are not offering these for sale. We simply hope it inspires people to have fun with their holiday decorations and explore making their own custom decorations.

4. Jacquelyn Stull says:

Omg omg this is awsome,I so want one..Can you make me one and I will buy it from you?I love the wreath as well.Little Shop Of Horrors has been my favorite movie for as long as I can remember…

1. TwinkieChan says:

Hi Jacquelyn. I’m so happy that you like it! Unfortunately, we are not making them to sell. We spent $200+ on materials and it took a week to make, plus shipping large pieces is expensive. So sorry! We hope this inspires people to try to make their own.

5. Krista Krause says:

How can I purchase the wreath?

1. TwinkieChan says:

Hi Krista, this is the wreath that we were sent from Treetopia: https://bit.ly/35lS5pX

6. Patty says:

You need to make this for sale!

1. TwinkieChan says:

I think it would be too expensive to produce and ship :).

7. Lee says:

Finally, I can read the comments now.

8. Kira Cook says:

This is fantastic! I would love to see this under a blacklight!

1. TwinkieChan says:

We did consider using glow-in-the-dark paint for a moment.