Screen shot 2014-02-14 at 4.46.40 AMOh hey! You can pick up my face and a free pattern at your local Michaels store! Lily Sugar ‘n Cream is coming out with some new, yummy, candy colors and asked me to whip up some fun crochet treats for their Sweets & Delights promo! I created two crochet projects for them, and the first one is this Cupcake Dish Cloth! I’ll post the second project here tomorrow! ;). The pattern is also available on Michaels.com (thank you, Elleen!).

CUpcakeDishCloth2smCupcake Dish Clothsm(Colors shown in my photos are Strawberry Shortcake (new!), Blue Cupcake (new!), Mint (new!), Soft Ecru, and Red.)

Edit: I just put up a video on YouTube to go with the pattern!

CUPCAKE DISH CLOTH

Finished Size: Approx 7½”x 8″ (19 x 20.5 cm)

Supplies

Lily® Sugar’n Cream®: (Solids: 2.5 oz./70.9 ga.; 120 yds/109 m)

Sherbet (Contrast A; 1 Ball or 28 yds/25 m),

Blue Cupcake (Contrast B; 1 Ball or 26 yds/24 m),

Strawberry Shortcake (Contrast C; 1 Ball or 3 yds/2.5 m)

Crochet Hook, Size U.S. G/6 (4 mm) or Size Needed to Obtain Gauge

Gauge: 15 sc and 16 rows = 4″ (10 cm)

Instructions

Note: Ch 2 at beg of row does not count as st.

Frosting: With A, ch 3 and join with sl st to first ch to form ring.

1st row: (RS). Ch 2. 4 hdc into ring. Turn.

2nd row: Ch 2. 2 hdc in each hdc to end of row. 8 hdc. Turn.

3rd row: Ch 2. (2 hdc in next st. 1 hdc in next st) 3 times. (2 hdc in next st) twice. 13 hdc. Turn.

4th row: Ch 2. (2 hdc in next st. 1 hdc in next 2 sts) 4 times. 2 hdc in last st. 18 hdc. Turn.

5th row: Ch 2. (2 hdc in next st. 1 hdc in next 3 sts) 4 times. 2 hdc in next st. 1 hdc in last st. 23 hdc. Turn.

6th row: Ch 2. (2 hdc in next st. 1 hdc in next 4 sts) 4 times. 2 hdc in next st. 1 hdc in last 2 sts. 28 hdc. Turn.

7th row: Ch 2. (2 hdc in next st. 1 hdc in next 5 sts) 4 times. 2 hdc in next st. 1 hdc in last 3 sts. 33 hdc. Turn.

8th row: Ch 2. (2 hdc in next st. 1 hdc in next 6 sts) 4 times. 2 hdc in next st. 1 hdc in last 4 sts. 38 hdc. Turn.

9th row: Ch 2. (2 hdc in next st. 1 hdc in next 7 sts) 4 times. 2 hdc in next st. 1 hdc in last 5 sts. 43 hdc.

Note: Rotate semi-circle to work along straight edge.

Edging: 1st row: (RS). Ch 1. Work 28 sc evenly across. Turn.

2nd row: Ch 1. Working in back loops only, 4 dc in first st. Skip next st. Sl st in next st. (Skip next st. 4 dc in next st. Skip next st. Sl st in next st) 6 times. 4 dc in last st. Join with sl st to last hdc of 9th row. Fasten off.

Cake: 1st row: (WS). Join B with sl st to first unworked front loop from 2nd row of Frosting. Ch 1. Work 1 sc in each unworked loop across. 28 sc. Turn.

2nd row: Ch 1. (Sc2tog. 1 sc in next 11 sts) twice. Sc2tog. 25 sts. Turn.

3rd and alt rows: Ch 1. 1 sc in each st to end of row. Turn.

4th row: Ch 1. 1 sc in first 2 sts. FPhtr around next st 3 rows below. (1 sc in next 3 sts. FPhtr around next st 3 rows below) 5 times. 1 sc in last 2 sts. 25 sts. Turn.

6th row: Ch 1. 1 sc in first 2 sts. Sc2tog. 1 sc in next 17 sts. Sc2tog. 1 sc in last 2 sts. 23 sts. Turn.

8th row: Ch 1. 1 sc in first 2 sts. FPtr around FPhtr. (1 sc in next 3 sts. FPtr around FPhtr. 1 sc in next 2 sts. FPtr around FPhtr) twice. 1 sc in next 3 sts. FPtr around FPhtr. 1 sc in last 2 sts. 23 sts. Turn.

10th row: Ch 1. 1 sc in first 2 sts. Sc2tog. 1 sc in next 15 sts. Sc2tog. 1 sc in last 2 sts. 21 sts. Turn.

12th row: Ch 1. (1 sc in next 2 sts. FPtr around FPtr) 3 times. 1 sc in next 3 sts. FPtr around FPtr 4 rows below. (1 sc in next 2 sts. FPtr around FPtr) twice. 1 sc in last 2 sts. 21 sts. Turn.

14th row: Ch 1. 1 sc in next 9 sts. Sc2tog. 1 sc in last 10 sts. 20 sts. Turn.

16th row: Ch 1. (1 sc in next 2 sts. FPtr around FPtr) 6 times. 1 sc in last 2 sts. 20 sts. Turn.

17th row: As 3rd row. Fasten off.

Cherry: With C, ch 2. 1st rnd: Work 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook. Do not join rnds.

2nd rnd:  2 sc each in each sc around. 12 sc.

3rd rnd: (2 sc in next sc. 1 sc in next sc) 6 times. 1 sc in next sc. Sl st in last sc. Fasten off, leaving 18″ (45.5 cm) end for sewing.

Stem/Loop: With C, ch 14. Join with sl st to first ch to form a loop. Fasten off, leaving 8″ (20.5 cm) end for sewing. Sew bottom of Stem/Loop to TOP and center of Frosting. Sew Cherry on top. (By sandwiching the Stem/Loop between the Frosting and the Cherry, I hoped to give the hanging loop more strength than just dangling it at the very top of either piece. Also, by leaving the Stem/Loop separate from the Cherry, you can crochet a green cherry stem if you wish!)

Abbreviations

alt = alternate(ing)

approx = approximately

beg = beginning

ch = chain(s)

fphtr = (yoh) twice and draw up a loop around post of indicated st at front of work, inserting hook from right to left, yoh and draw through 1 loop on hook; yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook; yoh and draw through all 3 loops on hook; skip stitch behind fphtr.

fptr = (yoh) twice and draw up a loop around post of indicated st at back of work, inserting hook from right to left, yoh and draw through 1 loop on hook; (yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook) 3 times; skip stitch behind fptr.

hdc = half double crochet

rnd(s) = round(s)

RS = right side

sc = single crochet

sc2tog = draw up a loop in each of next 2 sts, yoh and draw through all loops on hook

sl st = slip stitch

st(s) = stitch(es)

yoh = yarn over hook

ws = wrong side

This entry was posted in Blog, Crochet, Patterns & How-To's. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Me + Michaels + Lily Sugar ‘n Cream = Free Crochet Pattern for Cupcake Dish Cloths!

1. Ashley says:

Awesome!! I hope they have this my Michaels! I’ve been hoping SnC would release new colors!! They need more!!

• TwinkieChan says:

The new colors are really cute! I was hoping to snap them in person and blog them, but my Michaels is kinda lame, and it seems like it never gets the promotions that I do hehehheh. I’ll keep looking around!

2. EIleen Kovac says:

The pattern is on Michaels website :)

3. Alice says:

I made mine all ready!!!! So cute I loooove it

4. CookieLu says:

Oh thank you for another free pattern! I simply adore your designs and want to do them all. Please publish another book and please put the hamburger scarf in it, pleeeaaase!!! Thank you!

5. Julie Wilson says:

Hi there,

working on this pattern and I am having a little bit of trouble. Do you have a video on exactly how to put this together. I got the frosting part done and I am having trouble with the cake part. Thank you so much.

6. Bubbline says:

This cute design is what pushed me into crochet! I saw the pattern hanging from a rack in a Michaels and it was just too adorable not to attempt making.

Maybe this is a dumb beginner question, but I’m wondering if there’s a specific way to do the frosting’s edging. I know it’s 28 sc, but am I supposed to spot specific stitches to go through? Or I just go with the flow and put them anywhere as long as it looks kinda even and that I end up with 28 sc?

Thanks! I loooove everything you do and I already can’t wait to try your other patterns. I’ll definitely buy your book.

7. Kitty says:

I picked the pattern up at Michael’s because of how cute it is! I just finished it, but it did have trouble with the cake part. I’m hoping when you do the video it will help me out. I’m going to try another one to see if I improve. Thanks for the cute pattern.

8. Melanie says:

can’t wait to finish this pattern… but I too am struggling with the cake :( SO ADORABE!!! Can’t wait for video :)

• TwinkieChan says:

I keep waiting for a sunny day that I’m home to shoot the video, so the lighting will be good! Eep!

9. ariana says:

If I wanted to use this as a potholder, would you recommend I make 2 and sew them together or would just the one be ok?

10. Lyne says:

Hi
    I am working on this pattern and I am having a little bit of problem. I got the frosting part done and I am having trouble with the cake part.
    1st row: work 1 sc in each unworked loop across. Which loop are you talking???
    3rd and alt rows. What that mean exactly. Because there is no instruction for rows 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15. Which row should we work

Thank you so much.

i

• TwinkieChan says:

Question 1: Your last frosting row was worked in back loops only, so you work the first Cake row in the front loops that remain. I have a video up on Youtube which may help: http://youtu.be/rd4sEDZVSpo

Question 2: The instruction for 3rd and alt rows is to work sc/single crochet evenly across. So every odd or alt row is just working single crochet evenly across.

11. Anna says:

I love your cupcake pattern, just saw your video….very well done!!!
    Could you come to our local MICHAEL ‘S and do a DEMO????

• TwinkieChan says:

Where are you located? I’m not sure if Michaels has guests come to do demos or if they fly anyone in.

12. Pingback: Cup cake | 3 petites mailles

13. Pingback: Cupcake | 3 petites mailles

14. Sarah says:

Your leaflet in Michaels totally inspired me to take up crocheting. And this video made it possible. I’ve also taken your advice and learned to read patterns. I went to a yarn shop and got a stitch how-to. The cloth turned out so well. And to think that a month ago, I’d never crocheted! Thank you so much for being an inspiration, and an excellent teacher.

• TwinkieChan says:

Sarah!! Thank you so much for your feedback. You truly made my day!! I’m so excited that you started crocheting, and I’m really impressed that you were able to tackle the cupcake dish cloth as a beginner. You are going to have so much fun crocheting future projects! YAY!!!!

15. Imani Manuo says:

Awwww,

the Cupcake Dish Cloths are so sweet.
    Thank you so much for the free pattern. It is well-written and was a pleasure to follow.
    I´ve crocheted three Dish Cloths and will do some more.
    You can have a look on my result on my German website on http://imanimanuo.blogspot.de/2014/06/nachgehakelt-anleitung-twinkie-chan.html.
    Stay kawaii!

Imani Manuo

16. Pingback: Pinworthy Thursday 6-19-14 | Jackatessa's Blog

17. Korinda says:

I love this pattern it’s so cute. If I wanted to make one a little bit smaller for classroom decorations how would I go about doing that?

18. Ruth says:

Hi i seen this pattern at Michaels awhile ago put they didn’t have any free patterns left so I didn’t get a chance to make one. Put then I found your video on how to make it. I really enjoyed making it it was so much fun. I wish you would come out with a book with all those cake tissue boxes I’m sure other people would enjoy that too. Put what I was wondering is how would you suggest to make it into a towel topper. I’m asking because I just found some really cute cupcake towels. And do you have your book out in book stores?

• TwinkieChan says:

HI! Did you see my http://www.TissueBoxBakery website? It has a couple of the tissue box patterns on it :).

I am not sure if there is a quick fix to turn it into a towel-topper. I’m sorry!!! I have a feeling there may be some patterns already out there for that. Try Ravelry.com!

My book came out in 2010, so it was in a lot of major stores back then. But it’s been a few years now, plus, it’s basically sold out, so it will be hard to find in stores or online.