Free Pattern: Conversation Heart Garland

Be Mine Garland WallI know you’re like, “It’s not even Christmas yet! Why are you posting a Valentine’s Day pattern?” Because the February issue of Crochet Today magazine is out today and includes a “Favorite Blogger” feature of me, plus a link to THIS free pattern!

Hello! Okay, I was first told that I would be in the issue of Crochet Today that dropped in December, but as it turns out, I’m in the February/March issue which dropped in January! Sorry for the mix-up! I have a feature in the magazine titled “My Crochet Life.” If you’ve come here from Crochet Today: hello, new readers!! Here is your free crochet pattern for the Conversation Heart Garland!

Be Mine GarlandIf you are familiar with working in the round, this pattern is pretty quick and easy, and you can make your garland as long or as short as you like, in whatever colors you like. Plus you can have lots of fun cutting out your own felt lettering for various messages!

What You’ll Need

• I hook and G hook
    • Small amounts of Red Heart Super Saver in these colors: Petal Pink, White, Lemon, Mist Green, Light Coral, and Pale Plum
    • tapestry needle
    • scissors
    • optional: hot pink or red felt and fabric glue

Abbreviations

ch(s): chain(s)
hdc: half double crochet
htr: half triple crochet
dc: double crochet
rnd(s): round(s)
sc: single crochet
sk: skip
sl st: slip stitch
tr: triple crochet
(  ): work everything in the parenthesis into the next stich
[  ]: work everything in the bracket the number of times indicated

Heart

With I hook and whatever color heart you’d like to make first, make magic circle, or ch 3 and sl st to 1st ch to form loop.

Rnd 1: Ch 2 and work 10 hdc into loop. Sl st to 1st hdc to join. (10)

Rnd 2: Ch 2 and work (2 hdc) into each hdc around. Sl st to 1st hdc to join. (20)

Rnd 3: Ch 2 and work [(2 hdc), 1 hdc] 10 times around. Sl st to 1st hdc to join. (30)

CH1Rnd 4: (you may want to follow the chart below) sk 2, (6 tr), (3 tr), 2 htr evenly, dc, (2 hdc), 4 sc evenly, hdc, (2 hdc), dc, (2 hdc), hdc, 4 sc evenly,(2 hdc), dc, 2 htr evenly, (3 tr), (6 tr), sk 2, sl st. Break off and weave in all ends.

CH5CH2CH3You should decide how many hearts you want to make and in which order they will hang, because you you will crochet them together in reverse order. The “Be Mine” garland that I made went in this order: Pink, White, Yellow, Orange, White, Purple, Green. So you would actually start stringing the Green first, and then the purple, etc.

Assembly

1. If you want to include lettering on your hearts, you can do that now, or at the very end. It’s up to you!

2. With White yarn and a G hook to create tight chains, ch 10 and sl st to 1st ch to form a loop. This will help you hang the garland more easily.

3. Continue to ch 30.

4. Take your Green heart (or the final heart in your sequence), with right side facing you, and work an sc into the top right of the heart. For me, this is the 3rd tr from the center (see photo below). Ch 8. Work another sc into the top left of the heart, which for me, is also the 3rd tr from the center. You may need to smush and pull and flatten everything out, but the chs across the top of the heart should run pretty much in a straight horizontal line, and it shouldn’t warp the heart in any way. If there is a sag, take away a ch or 2. If the heart is getting squished on top, add more chs.

CH45. Ch 15. Take your Purple heart (or your next heart in the sequence), and work sc in the top right corner of the heart, ch 8, sc in the top left corner of the heart.

Repeat Step 4 with all of your hearts.

6. Ch 30. Ch 10 more and sl st to 10th ch from hook to form your hanging loop, and break off and weave in all ends.

Screen Shot 2013-11-24 at 6.33.10 PM

This entry was posted in Blog, Crochet, Patterns & How-To's and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Free Pattern: Conversation Heart Garland

1. Stephanie says:

So sweet !

2. Joan says:

Sweet cute Conversation Heart Garland, thank you. I can hardly wait for Crochet Today to arrive in my mail.

3. Cogaroo says:

Perfect timing! I had your Cupcake Bunting hanging next to my bed, but it was sagging and looked like it was going to strangle me in the night, so I took it down ~ now I have something to replace it with! ;)

4. Tracy Marie says:

LOVE THIS! Thank you so much for sharing! :)

5. Fiona says:

Oh my goodness, looking at that pattern hurts my head but the garland is soooo cute! I think I better perfect my straight line crocheting first, so far I’ve made two candies! woohoo

6. YAY! I own this :) It’s hanging above my bed :D Love it!

7. Maggi says:

Yay pattern! :) I have to say that I’m SO excited to get the newest issue of CT in my mailbox so I can read your feature. I’ve been on them to nab you for years! lol

8. Sandy says:

Some of the written instructions don’t match the diagram instructions on the last ending of the heart. Is one side of the heart suppose to be different? Cute pattern though.

• TwinkieChan says:

Thanks for pointing that out! I’ll take another look. I have so much going on all the time that I rarely have a chance to have a second pair of eyeballs on anything.

9. Pingback: Guess who’s in Crochet Today Magazine? | Twinkie Chan Blog

10. Glenda Joy says:

Super adorable!! Would love to make a few. Thanks for the free pattern. :)

11. Lee Ann Foster says:

I am going to make the conversation heart garland for my grand baby. I would also be interested in purchasing the pattern for the cupcakes and the x and o in the Today magazine. I was very disappointed to find out the pattern was not included since that was the only reason I bought the magazine was for your cute items

• TwinkieChan says:

Hi! Sorry for any confusion as to what the magazine included. I wasn’t asked to sell a pattern to the magazine, only to offer a Q&A. I don’t currently have the pattern prepped for either the xo cookies or the cupcakes, but I will try to get that together in the next 2 weeks or so. Watch my blog or my facebook page to stay updated! thank you!

12. Paola Martinez says:

Hi im really confused. A hdc is it the same as htr? If not can you post a link of how to do htr

13. Pingback: Conversation Hearts Galore

14. Pingback: Süße Dinge ~ Heute selbstgemacht | alyceen.

15. Pingback: Fun Stuff • 12.21.13 | The Pink Smaurai