Mother’s Day Lavender Crochet Pen Cozy Bouquet

Mother’s Day is only a few days away, but you still have time to DIY something special!

When I needed some emergency help in proof-reading my Asparagus Pen Cozy pattern, Kim came to the rescue and then also suggested that the pattern could be used to create lavender flowers. I loved this idea, since my mom loves lavender, so I decided to make a crochet lavender bouquet for her… of pen cozies! (Dad, don’t tell Mom!)

lavender1

What You’ll Need:

• my Asparagus Pen Cozy crochet pattern at Michaels.com. In the pattern, I refer to working a Leaf, but they left out the part where I explained how to work a leaf! Regardless, for my lavender flowers, I changed the leaf a tiny bit. To work a lavender leaf: Ch 3, sk 1st ch, 1 sc, 1 sl st. Done! I also worked a shorter green stem and a longer purple top than for the asparagus spear.
  • H hook
  • small amount of worsted weight yarn in Green
  • small amount of worsted weight yarn in Purple
  • regular ball point pens
  • optional: small terra cotta flower pot (the green one I used is biodegradable)
  • dried beans or pebbles to fill the flower pot

The particular yarns I used were just from my stash. I picked 2 shades of Purple.

KnitPicks Brava Worsted in Grass, Deborah Norville Everyday Worsted in Orchid, Plymouth Encore Worsted in 1606 Purple Bell.

lavender2

I dabbled in mixing 2 purples in one pen. One has 2 leaves in one color alternating with 2 leaves in another color. The other is mostly Orchid with a few leaves in Purple Bell here and there.

lavender3

Do you guys have any fun plans with your moms? We are going out for a family dinner on Saturday night!

This entry was posted in Crochet, Patterns & How-To's. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Mother’s Day Lavender Crochet Pen Cozy Bouquet

1. ella says:

These are soooo lovely! I hope you’re going to start doing something like this in the shop(I can’t crochet for toffee), I would love a vase full of crochet pens like this, lucky ma! fabulous!

• TwinkieChan says:

I’ve been selling the veggie pens in the shop, and they move pretty slowly, so I didn’t really think to sell the lavender. Maybe I’ll try! I didn’t really want to go the route of flowers, but maybe if I stick with “Edible” flowers, it will seem better to me :P

2. ella says:

haha yes edible flowers, I love tempura pumpkin flowers! Or candy sticks and tubes of sweeties!

3. Yasmine says:

These are so clever! Mother’s day in the UK was on March 10, but I can make these for my mum anyway ’cause I love her so much!!

xoxo
    Yas

• TwinkieChan says:

I know! I had already submitted the asparagus pattern before UK Mother’s Day and was kinda bummed we weren’t releasing until later! :P

• Yasmine says:

Never mind! There should never ever be only one day to show appreciation for your mum! Thanks again for sharing! xoxo

4. Vanessa says:

My Dad’s birthday is the day after Mother’s Day. I watch Survivor with my parents, who are both addicted to it, and Sunday night is the finale and reunion episodes. We are going to have a Survivor/Mother’s Day/Daddy’s Birthday party. They are both super excited!

5. Tricia says:

So what is the leaf for the asparagus? I want to make both! Should I just use the lavender leaf? Thanks!

• TwinkieChan says:

If you go to the pattern on the michaels page, scroll all the way down the page. I put the correction in the comments section! :). It’s just Ch 2 and sl st in 2nd ch :).

6. Lee says:

Mum’s the word!

7. Jester~Fair says:

Yay flowers!! This could also be cute in yellow and in a popcorn container for movie buffs ^-^ Have a peachy day, you’re wonderful!

8. Morgan says:

These are super adorable and work up wuickly. I even experimented with different colors and they’re just adorable

9. Liz says:

In thinking of doing these in blue for teacher gifts for my daughter’s middle school teachers – bluebonnets for spring in Texas! Lovely, thank you, so very much!!!

10. holli says: