Spring Cleaning! (a video of me cleaning up the craft room)

Room Collage 1So you may remember me always blogging about how I need to organize my craft room.

When I have crochet deadline after crochet deadline, picking up my mess always takes a back seat! And I still do need to finish my 2012 bookkeeping (which I’m doing now!), but I REALLY had to set aside time to deal with my craft room because I was asked to be video-interviewed in there yesterday! (I’m not sure yet if I’m supposed to keep the interview a surprise…)

If you “like” my Facebook page, you would already have seen little snippets of me picking up the place, but I was also taking video from time to time, and I sped it up, so you can sort of see what took place within the span of 4 minutes (but it was in reality like 2 days).

My craft space has been featured in various blogs, and I always just shoved piles of yarn in my bedroom to take photos and then put it all back. What really intimidated me was doing it RIGHT. I wanted to separate out the yarn to giveaway or sell (happening after aforementioned bookkeeping!), and approach everything in an organized fashion. So everything is sorted through now, but it’s also living in bags and boxes in Hairy’s man cave…. and it’s A LOT.

So here’s the video. Enjoy!

This entry was posted in Videos. Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Spring Cleaning! (a video of me cleaning up the craft room)

1. Katie says:

The before makes me feel less bad about my own space. I’m in the middle of completely reorganizing it to make it more efficient for my business.

• TwinkieChan says:

It’s a tough balance. It feels so good to exist in a clear space, but there really are times when I feel it’s more worth my effort to work and beat a deadline than to try to put everything back before I pull it all out again!

• Katie says:

It is a tough balance. I think mine is more about finding the balance between my work and my health so I’m trying to make things less difficult on me.

2. Reila says:

Good job! :’D
    I was wondering, do you have any other sorting system than by colors?

• TwinkieChan says:

MMM it’s a very loose system, because I know if I keep more rules, I’ll just break them :). There is a column of mostly Cascade 220 and another column of mostly Plymouth Encore Worsted and another column with a lot of Malabrigo. Other than that, it becomes an acrylic mish mash! Oh there’s also one column with my fun handspun/art yarn!

• Reila says:

Ah, cool! Yeah, I was thinking something along those lines, haha. With rows of mixes and acrylics and wool or brands/types and whatnot!

3. Rini Sapphire says:

Hey congratulations! ^_^ I’m always happy for people when they accomplish things like this 🙂 I know that this isn’t the most important thing you do (as your deadlines come first, of course) but I’m still happy for you. You video was fun 😉

• TwinkieChan says:

Thank you, Rini!!! I was definitely long overdue, and I was glad to have a reason/excuse to have to deal with it! 😛

4. Kimmi says:

Now imagine a mom cleaning this room. Everything into big black hefty bags!! It would be a real 4 minute video lol

5. Rachele says:

I am exhausted for you! Look purty <3

• TwinkieChan says:

Ahahha 😛 It’s not over yet! I still have to deal with the bags and bags of yarn and stuff!!!

Aw thank you! I was having some really grubby “I’m cleaning” days!

6. Virginia says:

OK, you’ve motivated me! (And I feel like I’ve just spend four minutes in bag of Skittles!) ;-D I LOVE your stuff, so colorful and inspirational!

7. Emma Deer says:

This is so fun! Gets me inspired to do some organizing :]
    ♥Emma Deer

8. Karen says:

It’s such a happy room! Filled with colors and ideas.

• TwinkieChan says:

It is! I wish I had room for a couch!! I used to have a little one in there, but I replaced it a table!

9. zambicandy says:

This was relaxing! I love your yarn shelves so much! Its like little artwork nooks. WALL OF COLOR or something haha. Also I love how Bibi was trying to help 😉 I am so jealous of your wood floors!!

• TwinkieChan says:

I actually dread wood floors because I’m always so afraid of scratching, staining, and ruining them!!!!

10. Janet Weidner says:

Great video–inspires me to keep going on mine! LOVE all the bright cheery colors! Now–how long will it stay that way? LOL! btw–my grandkids must have the twin of your black & white pup–looks exactly like him!!

• TwinkieChan says:

Aw I’d love to see a photo of the pup!!!
      I predict the room will look okay until the next event or craft show……. so, hopefully at least June… 😛

11. Angela says:

Love your craft room! Even when it’s messy! 🙂
    You’ve done a great job. I wouldn’t know where to start.

• TwinkieChan says:

I was really all over the place! To clean one area, you sort of had to clear another one at the same time and go back and forth! 😛

• Angela says:

Ok, that would be a great motivation for me to start cleaning and organizing my craft room too. The down side is that I’m into so many different crafts that I have to make a great plan of “what-should-go-where” (crochet, sewing, scrapbooking, painting). So many different supplies all in one place. Your “before” image can’t even describe mine. LOL! 🙂

• TwinkieChan says:

Oh my gosh, I purposefully avoid trying out things I think look fun, like scrapbooking, because I know I don’t want to deal with the stash!!!! I definitely show off my favorites (yarn) and hide the ones I use less (fabric paint, beads, cabochons, etc!). There’s actually a knitting machine in a case in my craft room, and if I ever get brave enough to open it up and try it, I will definitely need a new table somewhere!

12. Glenda Purvis says:

Have you ever thought of organizing by project vs. brand/color? Too confusing? My work room is beginning to look a little like yours – BEFORE you cleaned up!

• TwinkieChan says:

Hi! Hmmm, no I think that wouldn’t work as well for me. A lot of my projects share yarns, and oftentimes I like to change up colors and styles of things, so organizing by color primarily is what works best for me when I want to pull materials.

13. Louisa says:

I’m totally inspired to start sorting my own craft room now!! I wish I had a wall of yarn – since my business isn’t crochet related, all of my yarn is just in a giant clear storage box in the corner of my room!

14. Yasmine says:

If you end up giving away some of your yarn, let me know if you ship to the UK! I would GLADLY be prepared to pay the P&P for some US yarn (envious frown+ cheeky grin)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. YAY! I love your space – tidy or not – it’s a great space all the color is so inspiring!
    Love the vid – you’re so cute!

16. Amy says:

I really love that you have a craft room. It’s so bright and cheery, it looks like a room that hopefully always creates an automatic smile/fuzzy feeling. I need a room like this, except it would be a combo library/letter writing room 🙂

17. claire says:

You craft room is so amazing!
    So fun and bright!

18. brandy says:

ha, i watched it all the way thru while my boyfriend was in the background asking if our new houses guest room was going to look like that… pink and adorable… so of course i had to be honest… yes, yes it will

19. Stephanie says:

OMG !!! I just discovered you !!! Your so colorful !!!

20. Cheri Jackson says: