For Sweet Pea

So, remember this weird gif I posted a little while back?

That was my sketch for a crochet piece my friend and crochet elf Marissa was going to commission for her new nursery, since she wanted to decorate the baby’s room with a lot of art made by friends.

We went to her baby shower on Sunday, and I decided that I would finish this piece and gift it, along with a matching baby hat.

The whole concept came about after Marissa and I chatted about the baby’s name. One of her possible nicknames is “Sweat Pea,” so I kind of ran with that! Plus, Marissa has a love for bunnies, so I smashed the two together!!

Here’s the finished piece! It’s 11 X 14.

I decided to leave out the white polka dots in the background that were going to be white puff stitch. I started making a swatch, and the white puffs sort of distracted from the centerpiece, so I made a pink shell border instead, which has inspired me to make more crochet paintings with crocheted “frames”! Fun!

I was telling Manda that I didn’t intend to make a lot of crochet paintings right now, because I don’t know that they sell as well as my regular work. I do like making them, though, so hopefully when I feel like I have more time, I can make more just for fun!! Clearly I enjoy putting small food-animals into tasty food-boats.

Here’s a shot of me painting the canvas to match the lavender yarn I used as the background color.

That night, I thought I was like a color-matching paint-mixing savant, because I had matched the paint so perfectly to the yarn!!! But after the paint dried, I realized the paint was slightly cooler and bluer than the yarn. Oh well!

Here’s a shot of me with the painting at like 6:30 in the morning when I finished it.

I can’t wait to see what it looks like in the nursery itself. Also I can’t wait to meet the real Sweet Pea! Marissa has one more month to bake a baby.

44 Responses to For Sweet Pea

1. beledra says:

Oh, it’s superduper cute! Especially when being a fan of Mameshiba, the bunnies just rock!

But even if the thought is a bit boring when being practical, I would really use that kind of crochet painting most likely as a pillow case or attach it to blanket if it woudln’t just hang on a wall :)

2. Poe says:

I really like that! It is completely adorable!!!!

3. a.s. Rahne says:

this confirms it..you are my hero…:)

4. Cara says:

That is beyond cute!

5. Sarah says:

That is so cute and beautiful! And those colors <333

6. Cate says:

Awww it’s such a sweet gift I love it, sweet pea bunnies have to be the cutest thing xoxo

7. Melissa says:

OMGosh!! That’s the cutest thing EVER!! I’d buy one!! I wanna MAKE one!! You should make another book with crochet paintings!! OMGosh!! You are just so freaking awesome with your crochetness!! I’m in awe!!

8. thecrampedhand says:

It’s Super cute!! I want something like this hanging in my sewing AKA Crap room as my husband calls it.What did you use to back this to make it stiff?

I finagled a combo of super glue and permanent fabric glue all around the edges and also throughout the piece to give it a good anchor and to nip in the bud any future sagging due to the weight of all the fibers. GLue is not my favorite, but I think sewing thru the canvas in a clean and invisible way would be difficult as well as painful!

9. tetcutiepie says:

WOW! It came out sooo cute! You can really really see how much effort and time you put into it! It’s really something else…. awesome! :)

10. MaDonna says:

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUUUUUUUUTE!!!!!!!!!! twinkie i love it!!

11. it’s amazing! i love it so much~~

12. zambicandy says:

wow its so big and adorable ;o;

13. Kelly-Anne says:

This might be the cutest thing I have ever seen. Your friend is going to pregnancy hormone happy cry when she sees it.

Crochet painting is such an amazing idea! You are an inspiration to us all, Twinkie. <3

14. Caitlin says:

This is really adorable! I haven’t seen much flat(ish) crochet art, but it’s neat! This is the best kind of gift, something handmade and personal. Love it!

15. Summer says:

I absolutely adore it! You are so creative, keep up the good work!

16. sporkii says:

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!

17. Sarah says:

I love love love it! It’s adorable, I would buy one for my son (due in January) in a heartbeat!!!

18. Sam says:

That is just to much cuteness!

19. MK says:

OMG! I want one. :)

20. caz says:

Holy Cow thats sooooo cute! You should defo make more of them!!

21. Ellyssa says:

I know you probably don’t wanna hear this haha your gonna be thinking “ugh more work” BUT I really really, think you should make more to sell for your shopppp!! BEcauseee that crochet painting is sooo adorable like really cute and kawaii. I love bunnies too! :D Marissa has good taste! Go bunnies!! I really think you should sell these or, put a HOW TO into a book and sell them for like 20 dollars haha. SWeeet pea is a super adorable name. ANyways pleease make more for your shop!

22. Mary says:

It came out awesome and is absolutely adorable! Great work! :D

23. Casey says:

What a creative piece! I really love it!

24. You know, this is really special. Your friend will absolutely cherish this and it’s something that can be treasured for a long time. I have to tell you the pic that really impressed me was the one of you holding the finished piece. It’s very impressive Twinkie my dear.

25. Maggi says:

This is like the coolest thing ever! I’ve been trying to think of a way to combine crochet and something like a canvas. Then I see this…DUH! lol I would hang this in my girls’ room (actually any room in my house) in a heartbeat. It’s to die for! And so inspirational…where are my hooks and glue at?! :D