Bunny was feeling very poorly last week and went into the ER again. I was afraid this would be our last Christmas together, so I made us two tiny Santa hats for a photo. She had been wanting to just be in her bed all day with zero energy. I felt bad even bothering her for this, but it only took a few minutes so I hope she doesn’t hate me forever.
I ended up pinning both of them to my head after letting her go back to sleep. You could attach them to hair clips or a head band, but I think just using bobby pins makes them really versatile. Now I can thread a loop through them and put them on my Christmas tree or a wreath! We have some on our mantel garland right now.
For Bunny, I strung black yarn on each side of the hat and tied a bow under her chin. I picked black to match her fur so the tie would be less visible.
I hope you have fun with your mini Santa hats!
Mini Santa Hat Crochet Pattern
- You’ll need a small amount of worsted yarn in Red and White, an H hook, scissors, yarn needle, and you can either make a pom pom with yarn or you’ll need a store-bought one to glue on. I think mine were 1/2 inch white Pom Poms.
- The RS of your work in Red will show on the outside of the hat, and you’ll flip up the White brim so the WS will be showing.
FLO: front loops only
RS: right side
sc: single crochet
sl st: slip stitch
( ): work everything inside the parentheses into the next stitch
[ ]: work everything inside the brackets the number of times
With Red and H hook, make magic circle or ch 3 and sl st to 1st ch to form ring.
Rnd 1: Ch 1, 6 sc into ring. Don’t join rnds. – 6 sts
Rnd 2: sc, 5 hdc. – 6 sts
Rnd 3: [(2 hdc), 2 hdc] 2 times. – 8 sts
Rnd 4: [(2 hdc), 3 hdc] 2 times. – 10 sts
Rnd 5: [(2 hdc), 4 hdc] 2 times. – 12 sts
Rnd 6: [(2 hdc), 5 hdc] 2 times. – 14 sts
Rnd 7: [(2 hdc), 6 hdc] 2 times. – 16 sts
Rnd 8: [(2 hdc), 7 hdc] 2 times. – 18 sts
Rnd 10: [(2 hdc), 8 hdc] 2 times. – 20 sts
Rnd 11: [(2 hdc), 4 hdc] 4 times. – 24 sts
Rnd 12: 23 hdc evenly, sc. – 24 sts
- Sl st to next st to join.
- Break off White. Join White.
Rnd 13: Work this rnd in FLO. Ch 2, work hdc evenly around. Sl st to 1st hdc to join. – 24 sts
Rnd 14: Work in both loops again. Ch 2, 24 hdc evenly around. Sl st to 1st hdc to join. – 24 sts
- Break off and weave in all ends.
- Flip up the White brim of the hat.
- Make a tiny White pompom to sew on top of the hat or glue your store-bought pompom on.