Free Pattern: Grumpy Octopus Coffee Cup Cozy

Remember when I made this grumpy octopus coffee cup cozy back in December? I finally made another one so that I could write down the pattern for you!

Octopair

Octopus Coffee Cup Cozy
Designed by Twinkie Chan

You guys kept writing to me about posting the pattern, but I never wrote it down! I finally took a moment to re-make one and hash it all out, so now you all have 8 extra hands to hold your coffee!

Materials List

• Crochet Hook, size H/5.0mm, or whatever size needed to obtain gauge
  • Lion Brand® Vanna’s Choice® in Eggplant, or any worsted yarn you prefer as your Main Color (MC) – approx. 45 yards
  • Lion Brand® Vanna’s Choice® in White, or any worsted yarn you prefer – approx 5 yards
  • Small amount of black yarn for eyes, or, a small amount of felt plus fabric glue
  • scissors or yarn cutter
  • tapestry needle for weaving in ends

Gauge
Lion Brand® Vanna’s Choice®: 16 sc x 19 rows = 4 inches x 4 inches

Finished Size
Laying flat: 4.75 inches across the top, 4 inches across the bottom, and 2.75 inches tall, not including the legs.

Cozy should safely fit a 12 oz. or 16 oz. paper coffee cup. You want it to be snug enough to stay on a full cup while you hold it, but also loose enough on top to safely get it onto a cup of hot liquid.

Abbreviations
ch(s) = chain(s)
prev = previous
rnd(s) = round(s)
sc = single crochet
sk = skip
sl st = slip stitch
st(s) = stitch(es)
[  ] = repeat what is inside the brackets the number of times indicated

Special Stitches
inv dec: invisible decrease.  Insert hook into front loop only of next st, insert hook into front loop only of following st, YO, pull through 2 loops, YO pull through 2 loops.

Notes
I find that the seam will wrap around the cozy less if you begin each in the same st as your ch 1, which is also the same st as the sl st from the prev rnd.

Octopus
– You’ll be working the coffee cup cozy from top to bottom.
– The right side of your work should show on the outside of the cozy.
– With MC, ch 38. Sl st to 1st ch to form ring, making sure there are no twists in the chain.

Rnd 1: Ch 1 and work 1 sc in each ch. Sl st to 1st sc to join. (38)

Rnds 2-3: Ch 1 and sc evenly around. Sl st to 1st sc to join. (38)

Rnd 4: Ch 1. [inv dec, 1 sc each in next 17 sts] 2 times. Sl st to 1st sc to join. (36)

Rnds 5-6: Ch 1 and sc evenly around.  Sl st to 1st sc to join. (36)

Rnd 7: Ch 1. [inv dec, 1 sc each in next 16 sts] 2 times. Sl st to 1st sc to join. (34)

Rnds 8-9: Ch 1 and sc evenly around. Sl st to 1st sc to join. (34)

Rnd 10: Ch 1. [inv dec,  1 sc each in next 15 sts] 2 times. Sl st to 1st sc to join. (32)

Rnd 11: Ch 1 and sc evenly around. Sl st to 1st sc to join. (32)

Rnd 12:  Ch 1. You will now be adding legs to the cozy. {1 sc each in next 3 sts. Ch 13, sk 1st ch, and along the length of the 12 remaining chs, work [2 sc in the next ch 1 sc in the next ch] 6 times. Sl st into next st on the cozy.} Repeat from { to } 8 times. Then sl st to 1st sc to join.  (Photo 1)

– Break off and weave in all ends.

Photo 1

Eyeballs – make 2

– With White, unravel 8 inches of yarn and then make magic circle, or ch 3 and sl st to 1st ch form ring.

Rnd 1: Work 6 sc into ring. (6) Don’t join rounds.

Rnd 2: [(2 sc in next  st, 1 sc in next st] 3 times. (9)

Rnd 3: 1 sc in next 9 sts. (9) Sl st to next sc to join.

– Break off leaving 12 inches of yarn for sewing.

Eyelids – make 2

– With MC, make magic circle, or ch 3 and sl st to 1st ch form ring.

Row 1: Ch 1 and work 4 sc into ring. (4)

Row 2: Ch 1, turn. Work 2 sc in each st. (8)

Row 3:, Ch 2, turn. Sc evenly across. (8)

– Break off leaving 18 inches of yarn for sewing and weave in the other end.

Assembly

1. Make sure the right side of the Eyeballs are showing on the outside. Use the 8 inches of yarn as stuffing. Then use the 12 inches of yarn to sew each Eyeball to Octopus. I sew mine on fairly low and wide. (Photo 2)

Photo 2

2. Now sew the Eyelids to the to the top of the Eyeballs. I prefer that the right side of Row 3 of the Eyelids show on the outside, but this is up to your preference. This sewing can be a bit tricky. You want to make sure that Row 3 of the Eyelid stays straight across the eyeball, and the edge of the Eyelid rows are sewn to the Octopus. (Photo 3)

Photo 3

3. Stitch on some little pupils beneath the Eyelids with black yarn or cut out small half circles of felt and glue on.

Octo2Octo1Octo3

*The instructions for this project are for personal use only. Please do not copy, re-distribute, or sell these instructions or the items you make using these instructions without my permission. Thank you!*
This entry was posted in Blog, Crochet, Patterns & How-To's and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Free Pattern: Grumpy Octopus Coffee Cup Cozy

1. CC says:

That is so lumpin adorable.

2. Cecelia Anderson says:

These are so darn cute!! I love it!!

3. Julie Keyworth says:

Thanks so much for the pattern!! Absolutely ADORABLE!! :)

4. Kristen says:

I would love to see this on Ravelry because I want to add this to my queue IMMEDIATELY.

• TwinkieChan says:

I never post patterns on Ravelry because I find the whole process/form quite tedious :P :P :P, but i’ll try to get better about it!

• Stacy Acevedo says:

Hi Twinkie , I thought it was fiddly on Ravelry at first too, but now I love using Ravelry.

Thank you for the laugh out loud A-DOR-able pattern. Brightened my whole day and I’m finally ready to cast on for a coffee cozy!

Stacy

5. Katie says:

I need this for student teaching. I’m a grumpy octopus.

6. diana says:

this is hysterical, i am absolutely going to make this! so funny :) thank you!

7. Mia says:

Great Christmas Gifts for my teenage kids with a gift card for their favorite coffee place. ..Luv Ur Patterns…Thank U

8. Aida says:

So cute! I love octopi, thank you for sharing the pattern!

9. Maya W says:

Pre-coffe Cthulhu

10. Irene says:

Thank you soooo much for sharing this adorable Octopus. I can hardly wait to make a few. Great for gifts.

11. Irene says:

Dear Twinkie, I am having a problem with getting a copy of your so cute Grumpy Octopus. The right sides of the pictures get cut off and some of the words on the right side that need more space on the right. For example, Rnd 12, 1st sentence for Eyeballs. And Assembly number 1 and number 2. I got the photo number 3 but after that I didn’t get the other photos. In photo number 2 it only shows a little bit of the top edge of the photo. I must be doing something wrong. Can you help me? Please.
    I thought maybe it had something to do with the ads on the right side. Is there something I should click on before I try to copy?

• TwinkieChan says:

Hmmm, I’m not sure how to help, unfortunately, because when I clicked onto this page, everything looks fine to me. Nothing is cut off. All the text is aligned properly. All the photos are displaying properly. Are you on a computer or a phone/tablet?

12. Irene says:

Twinkie, I am at home on my PC. Your pictures look perfect to me, nothing wrong at all. Hmmm Well I think I’ll just have to look at your pictures when ever I need to while I’m crocheting. I have started making your Grumpy Octopus and will continue on he is soooo darn cute. You are very talented. Thank you for sharing the pattern. I’m very new to you blog and I like it.

13. Susan says:

Do you sell the basic pattern for the salad scarf?

14. Victoria says:

My son put the Octopus Embrace sweater on his Christmas list (not necessarily for this one thank goodness!) This octopus embraces something . . . just not what he was expecting. Couldn’t stop laughing when I saw it. Perfect joke gift. Thank you.

15. Mia Olthof says:

Made your grumpy octopus during the holidays and then, inspired, “winged” my own pug. Have to make new coffee cosy’s as my (non coffee drinking) children have decided the cosy’s were for them! Thanks for the inspiration and keep the goodies coming. Happy New Year!

16. Betty boivin says:

Made one for my sister, she loved it!

17. Pingback: Café au Crochet: 10 Free Crochet Coffee Cup Cozies! - moogly

18. Anna says:

This octopus cup cozy is coming out so cute, thank you for the pattern

19. Anna says:

As long as I give credit to your page may I sell your octopus after I make a few, I may make a few modifications to it regarding the eye’s though, would it be ok?

20. Pingback: Friday Finds 3.7.14 | At Play Blog

21. Emily Hawkins says:

Twinkie Chan,

May I have your permission to make some of your octopus coffee cup cozies for my mothers of preschoolers fundraiser? The money made from the crafts sold would be used to help cover the cost of our childcare workers. I love your designs. They are so fun and cheerful.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
    Emily Hawkins, a fellow crocheter

• TwinkieChan says:

Yes, absolutely!! Thanks so much for running it by me first, but I absolutely support fundraisers and charitable sales! :)

22. Brandy says:

So I made this for myself because I’m a coffee junkie and I have a lot of people at my local coffee house now wanting me to make and buy them from me. I noticed the no selling without permission instructions and am asking for permission. I fear I may get mugged next time I go to the coffee house and don’t have any to sell. lol BTW I have had so many men flipping out over how adorable this coffee cozy is! Thanks for the pattern.

• TwinkieChan says:

Hi! Thank you for contacting me. I am so happy you are having so much fun with your Octo cozy! I am ok with what I consider personal or person-to-person sales. If you include any tags or packaging with your cozies, I would definitely appreciate a mention as the designer with a link to my site. If it’s a situation where you are leaving cozies to sell at your local coffee shop, I’d request a maximum of 10 cozies at a time (along with same mention on any tags/packaging). I mostly do not prefer online listings and sales, as I think that creates the most confusion. Thank you again!

23. Carro says:

Need a cup cozy? Why not Zoidberg? Have to make a red one immediately! Thanks! :D

24. OMG ! I’m inspired to learn how to do crochet’s ~ kawaii *-* gonna make one for personal use x’D hohoho

25. Lee Ann says:

Thank you for sharing this adorable pattern!! :)
    ____
    Lee Ann

Crochet…Gotta Love It! Blog:
    YouTube Channel:

#crochetgottaloveit
    #crochet

26. Ruby says:

Hi! Thank you for the pattern. I am a beginner at crocheting. Could you please be a dear and do a youtube video on how to do this please? After I did the first 3 rounds, I feel the pattern is like a circle that can lay flat completely on the table, not a cup cozy pattern at all.. Please help.
    Just to be sure, do I do one chain and then 1 sc on the next stitch or a stitch after that? I guess I’m asking, do I need to skip a stitch?

• TwinkieChan says:

After you make your initial chains, don’t forget to slip stitch back to the first chain to form a ring of chains. This ring is what you crochet around to start making a tube.