We visited the Hobbitses!

Hobbit1I’ll need to sharpen my green thumb and get a whole new wardrobe, but I just wanted to let you guys know that we visited Hobbiton, and I’m moving in!

After spending a few days in Auckland, living the city life, Hairy drove us down to visit Hobbiton and the LOTR/Hobbiton movie set, which is in the middle of a giant sheep farm filled with cute sheeps whose job it is to look adorable and munch on grass all day.

I believe our tour guide said that there were like 4o hobbit holes on the premises, some big, some small, depending on whether they wanted to film a human or a hobbit next to it.

Hobbit2

There’s not really stuff inside of them. They are all mostly facades, and any shots from the inside of a hobbit hole were filmed in Wellington on a set.

Hobbit3It was really super cute there, but what really struck me was the care and attention to all the gardening. There was a central vegetable garden with actual chard and squashes and herbs and all kinds of veggies and things. I live by the ocean where there is no sun, but I felt super inspired to grow food because it just looks adorable aside from being edible…!

hobbit4

You also get to visit the Green Dragon for a free beer, cider, or ginger beer! (Oops, no photo of that yet…!)

hobbit5

I’m not even a really gigantic LOTR fan, but I thought that visiting this place was really fun. Time to redecorate my house!!

I took more photos and TOOOOOONNNS of video, but we are off now to find dinner in Wellington!

hobbit6

16 Responses to We visited the Hobbitses!

1. Kim says:

Hey Twinkie
    Thanks for the rad photos. We web to to NZ for our honeymoon 7 years ago. My husband’s wedding ring looked just like the LOTR one – no writing just plain gold band – and we got to see a huge one and did all stupid photos with my precious… Thanks for sharing, can’t wait to see more.
    Kim – Brisbane πŸ™‚

2. Please post photos of the inside!! πŸ™‚

• TwinkieChan says:

There isn’t really anything inside! So I didn’t take photos. You could only go “inside” one of the holes, and it’s basically like, 5 feet deep and just dirt and wood.

3. Fiona says:

so cute! I’m not really a LOTR fan but I’m definitely putting this on my New Zealand bucket list, next time you’ll have to explore Australia too!!

4. Janet Weidner says:

Awesome!!! Thank you so much for the virtual vacation!!! Can’t wait to see MORE!!! You are ONE LUCKY LADY!!! You do have a connection w/ Hobbiton–by way of the cute little sheep–the source for real wool!!!! You should crochet some little sheep critters to add to your decor!!! Thanks again for sharing!! =) (Believe in the Little Ones!)

5. Melissa G says:

It looks like you guys are having a blast!! Can’t wait to see more.

6. Yasmine says:

Hi!

Glad to see you are having so much fun; you have really deserved it! I am literally in complete opposite mode; I have a truckload of exams in May/June πŸ™ so I literally have no time to do anything other than revise/breathe!!
    Thanks so much much for all your work; all your fun blogposts and patterns provide a refreshing break for when I have little (but rare!) windows of time to unwind!
    Keep having loads of fun

xoxo Y

7. Barny says:

I love how you fit into hibbiton as a little pixie πŸ™‚ amazing photos!

have a great time

Barnicles xx

8. Glenda Purvis says:

Hey Twinkie – I’ve always wondered what those looked like. I am a HUGE LOTR fan and this is the first I’ve seen this outside the movie. Thanks a bunch for sharing!! Do you think you’ll be coming out with new patterns inspired by this visit, or is this just a lark?

9. Lynne says:

Twinkie you are home. πŸ˜€ Great pictures.

10. Lee says:

I can see Bilbo peeking out of the window!

11. SHUT UP!!! O.o Im so Jealous!

12. Amy says:

So jealous. We visited Mattamatta after the first trilogy was filmed. And at that point, they weren’t allowed to keep the Hobbit holes looking nice/like they did in the movies. It was still amazing (I wish I had the giant Party Tree in my yard!!!), but not near as nice as it is now.

I hope I can return again now that they have it the way it is.

As a side note, my poor mum, who is innocently clueless about a number of things, proclaimed that we were visiting/had visited Hobbitron. πŸ™‚ She’ll never live it down…and currently has a garden stone that says Welcome to Hobbitron.