Vegans Beware: Hairy Cooked Dinner

For a Christmas present, Hairy gifted my brother and his wife a homemade dinner. Tonight they cashed in, and my parents came, too. Hairy had been menu-planning for weeks, and he cooked over the last two days. He prepped 11 different dishes. I failed to photograph the 2 appetizer dishes (fresh mozarella balls and sundried tomatoes wrapped in prosciutto, and an amazing spread containing anchovies, bread, and parsley, served with crostatta.)

Mussels and clams in a rich savory broth with pancetta, shallots, garlic, white wine, clam stock, butter.

Milanese Risotto. Saffron, parmesan, chicken stock. (I helped stir for 2 seconds!)

White bean and fennel gratin.

Provence tomatoes.

Porchetta, pounded pork rolled up with parsley, sage, rosemary, lemon zest, olive oil, and feta.

Trout cooked on a cedar plank on our grill in the backyard. Served with lemon confit.

Apple, fennel, and celery root salad.

Braised kale with feta.

Dessert was with pain perdu, with mascarpone, berries, and rum carmel.

There are tons of leftovers and I can’t wait to eat risotto for dayzzzzzz!

43 Responses to Vegans Beware: Hairy Cooked Dinner

1. Nikki G says:

OMG! He went all out on this one. Yummy

2. Jacci says:

My mouth is watering!
    You’re so lucky to gave such a fantastic chef as your bf.

3. caz says:

Man I wish my boyfriend could cook like that πŸ˜€ Looks faaaaaaab!!

4. Lee says:

Oops, I forgot to eat the tomato(es)!!

5. This is all just pure isanity!!!! You all need to be committed!!! πŸ˜‰

Lucky ducks!!!!!

It’s 5 am..I still haven’t slept…and I really had nooo idea I’d be wanting pounded pork right now. Thanks for bringing that to the surface…if I’m lucky, I have a not too great clementine on the counter. :/

Can we borrow Hairy some day??

LOOOVE ya!!
    xoxo Jenny Holiday

I agree with you. It was completely insane. He couldn’t help himself but make everything under the sun!!!!!!

If you ever come visit us in SF, I’ll have to make him execute another feast of ridiculousness!!!

6. Amie says:

It all looks so amazing!! Wish I could cook like that! Wanna eat it!! πŸ™‚

7. Cate says:

Oh wow that is a lot of yummy food he made!

Seriouly needs to come cook for me! Nobody cooks for me! As soon as people find out I teach cookery it’s like “will you cook for me?” although I do have one friend who bakes cakes for me once a month or so, best baker ever!

8. Cassie says:

Hairy is incredible :)! That all looks amazing! What an awesome Christmas present to get πŸ™‚

9. lisa. says:

Omg, that first dish with the mussels looks effin’ amaaaaazing. Recipe?

Did your bf go to culinary school? I did a year of culinary, but I’m too shy to cook for other people outside of a restaurant. I’m afraid they’ll hate it but eat it anyway to spare my feelings!

10. OMG! You do know you’re the luckiest girl ever to be with such an amazing chef! All of it looks sooo delicious!

11. oh my god i’m DYING!! i want to lick my screen so bad.

12. Cicely says:

Holy bajeezus! Im coming over to your place! Everything looks fantastic. Lucky Lucky girl!

13. MK says:

Wow Harry! It all looks wonderful. A+

14. looooo says:

Hoooooly crap that looks absolutely incredible. Mind is BLOWN

15. Pingback: Tweets that mention Twinkie's blargh Β» Vegans Beware: Hairy Cooked Dinner -- Topsy.com

16. Jules Chan says:

OMG, Youve got yourself a keeper there girl, Hurray for Hairy, Yummy Yum Yum!

17. Jenny Whoo says:

*is currently wiping the drool out of the keyboard*

18. Emily says:

OH MAN!! That is one amazing looking dinner!!!!

19. chinamommy says:

SHUT UP!!! that is amazing! my hubbie is the grill and smoker master, but we eat nothing like that!! Culinary school would be hell for me, but I wish someone in my house would go!!

20. OMG! I literally drooled. This breakfast bar looks so blah now.

21. Marilyn says:

daamnnnnnn your boy knows how to cook ;DDD you lucky girlie!

22. Lauren McD says:

oh ma goodness all that food looks freaking amazing! i want you nomz. ^-^