Happy National Bomb Pop Day!
I know the day is almost over, but, to be honest, I had no idea it was National Bomb Pop Day until I was already at work and saw someone post about it on my Instagram feed!
I made these Bomb Pop Pen Cozies last year, and now you can make some, too! I don’t have step-out photography, so hopefully some of you will be able to follow along just with text. When I get the chance to shoot step-out photography, I’ll probably remove the pattern from my blog and then put it in my Etsy shop. Please enjoy it until then!
Beige: Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice in Beige
Red: Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice in Scarlet
White: Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice in White
Blue: Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice in Aqua or Aquamarine
BLO: back loop only
BPhdc: back post half double crochet
FPhdc: front post half double crochet
inv dec: invisible decrease
sc: single crochet
sl st: slip stitch
( ): work everything inside the parentheses into the next stitch
[ ]: work everything inside the brackets the number of times indicated
With I hook and Beige, ch 5 and sl st to 1st ch to form ring.
Work 5 sc into ring and continue to work sc evenly in a spiral, without joining rounds, until your tube is 5 inches long. Try it on the pen before breaking off, making sure it’s neither too short nor too long. Sl st to next st to join. Break off and use your tapestry needle to draw up loops from the remaining 5 sts and pull closed. The other end has the opening to insert the pen.
With H hook and Red, make magic circle, or ch 3 and sl st to 1st ch to form ring.
Rnd 1: 6 sc. Don’t join.
Rnd 2: (2 sc) 6 times. Sl st to next st to join, but not too tightly since you’ll need to work in it like a regular stitch later. – 12 sts
Rnd 3: in BLO, sc evenly – 12 sts
Rnd 4: working in both loops again, sc evenly – 12 sts
Rnd 5: [(2 sc), sc] 6 times – 18 sts
Rnd 6: [(2 sc), 5 sc] 3 times – 21 sts
Rnd 7: hdc evenly – 21 sts
Rnds 8-12: [2 FPhdc, 1 BPhdc] 7 times. – 21 sts
- Drop Red. Join White. Start stuffing as you change each color.
Rnds 13-17: [2 FPhdc, 1 BPhdc] 7 times. – 21 sts
- Drop White. Join Blue.
Rnds 18 – 22: [2 FPhdc, 1 BPhdc] 7 times. – 21 sts
Rnd 23: Sc evenly. Sl st to next st to join. – 21 sts
Rnd 24: In BLO, inv dec 10 times. There is only 1 stitch left in the rnd, but work one more inv dec using the last st and the one following it anyway for a total of 11 decreases. Sl st to next st to join. – 10 sts.
- Break off leaving approx. 18 inches of yarn for sewing.
Weave in all other ends.
- Finish stuffing Rocket Pop, not super firmly, but firmly enough to maintain the shape.
- Insert Popsicle Stick (with pen inside) about 1.5 inches. Make sure there is some stuffing at very bottom of the Popsicle around the opening and around the end of the Popsicle stick, or else the Popsicle Stick will be really wiggly. You want to give it a good foundation, and you don’t want loose, floppy, falling over pen cozies. Getting into stuffing into this spot can be tricky once the Stick is in.
- Use the Popsicle yarn tail to sew Popsicle to Popsicle Stick.