Free Crochet Pattern: Goldfish Cracker Pin!

Goldfish1Sorry for the blog-silence! I’ve been busy catching up with work, writing Michaels.com patterns, planning cool collabs for Yummy You! (p.s. our Ice Cream & Sunnies tee is now only $12.50!) and working on a few website updates (nothing big, just updating the Press section and the slideshow on the landing page!).

GoldfishPattern6I thought I would make it up to you guys by posting another free pattern here! It’s for the little Goldfish Crackers! You can use them as pins, hair clips, and someone mentioned wanting the pattern to make a mobile for her baby. Cute idea! I do not intend to sell anymore in my shop, so that is why I am sharing the pattern for free here.

GoldfishPattern8Materials List
- (MC) KnitPicks Brava Worsted in “Caution” or a worsted weight yarn in the color of your choice
- (CC) Small amount of worsted weight yarn in a slightly darker color than MC to embroider the face (I used Cascade 220)
- H8/5.00mm crochet hook
- Small amount of polyfill stuffing
- scissors
-tapestry needle

Notes
- I begin each round with an indication to work the first stitch in the “Next Stitch” (NS) or the “Same Stitch” (SS) in order to keep the seam in check. (See photo) You could always work in a spiral instead, but I often like to join my rounds to achieve the right shape for my project.
- Remember that the Right Side of the stitches will show on the outside of the goldfish.

GolfdfishPattern1

Special Stitches
- inv dec (invisible decrease): Insert hook into FLO of next st, then insert hook into FLO of following st. [YO, pull through 2 loops] twice. Decrease completed.

Abbreviations
CC = contrast color
ch(s) = chain(s)
FLO = front loop only
MC = main color
NS = next stitch
rnd(s) = round(s)
sl st = slip stitch
SS = same stitch
st(s) = stitch(es)
( ) = work everything inside the parentheses into the next stitch
[ ] = work everything inside the bracket the number of times indicated

Goldfish
With MC and H hook, make magic circle, or ch 3 and sl st to 1st ch to form ring.

Rnd 1: Work 6 sc into ring. Sl st to 1st sc to join. (6)

Rnd 2: SS, (2 sc) 6 times. Sl st to 1st sc to join.  (12)

Rnd 3: SS, [(2 sc), 3 sc] 3 times. Sl st to 1st sc to join. (15)

Rnd 4: SS, [(2 sc), 4 sc] 3 times. Sl st to 1st sc to join. (18)

Rnd 5: NS, [(2 sc), 8 sc] 2 times.  Sl st to 1st sc to join. (20)

Rnd 6: SS, [(2 sc), 9 sc] 2 times. Sl st to 1st sc to join. (22)

Rnds 7 – 8: SS, work sc evenly around. Sl st to 1st sc to join.  (22)

Rnd 9: NS, work sc evenly around. Sl st to 1st sc to join. (22)

Rnd 10: SS, [inv dec, 9 sc] 2 times. Sl st to 1st sc to join. (20)

Rnd 11: SS, [inv dec, 3 sc] 4 times. Sl st to 1st sc to join. (16)

Rnd 12: SS, [inv dec, 2 sc] 4 times. Sl st to 1st sc to join. (12)

Rnd 13: NS, sc evenly around. (12)

Put a little bit of stuffing inside the fish. You don’t want it super duper stuffed. Just a little bit to give it a little puff.

Rnd 14: SS, Ch 2. (2 hdc), 1 sc, sl st, sl st, *don’t slip stitch too tightly since you have to work in these sts later*  1 sc, (2 hdc), (2 hdc), 1 sc, sl st, sl st, 1 sc, (2 hdc), Sl st to 1st hdc to join. (16)

GoldfishPattern2Rnd 14: SS, Ch 2. (2 hdc), 1 sc, 1 sl st each in next 4 sts, 1 sc, (2 hdc), (2 hdc), 1 sc, 1 sl st each in next 4 sts, 1 sc, (2 hdc), sl st to 1 st hdc to join.  (20) Break off leaving about a yard of yarn for sewing.

GoldfishPattern3Making sure that your seam runs along the bottom of  your fish, and that the two tail halves align together, work 2 whipstitches through each stitch to sew the fish together.

GoldfishPattern4Then thread a yard of CC through your tapestry needle and embroider the fish’s eye. Go through both layers of the crochet. It will create a neat, quilted effect through the stuffing. After finishing the eye, I poke my needle through the inside of the fish to hide the yarn, and then I bring the needle back out again where I want to start stitching the mouth, also through both layers of crochet. Tie off both ends and weave them inside the fish.

GoldfishPattern5GoldfishPattern6If you’re like me … your fish may have a good side and a less-good side….

GoldfishPattern7But there’s nothing really wrong with a crooked smile, either ;).

*The instructions for this project are for personal use only. Please do not copy, re-distribute, or sell these instructions or the items you make using these instructions without my permission. The Goldfish cracker image belongs to Pepperidge Farms, and I am not affiliated with them. Thank you!*
This entry was posted in Blog, Crochet, Patterns & How-To's and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Free Crochet Pattern: Goldfish Cracker Pin!

1. LIllibet says:

HI there i want you to know that i plan in making some of these with 2 strands of worsted weight yarns and then fill with catnip and donate them to my local animal hospital…For fundraising..
    Come visit us in our face book group…
    hugs
    LIllibet

2. Jan Gaffney says:

Thank you, thank you. I am always looking for cute gift ideas to make for my daughter and her friends. These will look so cute in little plastic bags.

3. Lee says:

Cheese flavored?

4. Oh, my goodness! I’m sharing this on my FB page! They all know about you – in a good way LOL!

5. Kim Lawrence says:

Thanx “sew” much! It’s your projects which have inspired me to start crocheting again after 32 years of not touching the needles! I saw your Slushee Cup Drawstring Bag tutorial, which brought back so many childhood memories, which is when my mother taught me to crochet, that it inspired me to start crocheting, again! I even purchased a copy of your book, ‘Liked’ your fb page and am following you on Etsy! I just think you are so creative and ingenious!!! Thank you so much for the inspiration ♥

6. MJ says:

Will be trying this for sure, thanks so much for sharing!

7. RachelG says:

Thank you for the pattern. I love them and plan on making some for stocking stuffers.

8. I made goldfish similar to these a few years ago for when my mom was selling cat toys – we stuffed them with poly-fil and put them in clear bags filled with catnip. The kitties went nuts and my own cats still play with theirs after about a year of play! Love these; I never saw yours until now and it’s really fun to me how similar our patterns are! :) Always loving your work.

xo

9. Liz Williams says:

Oh wow. Can’t wait to try this. Im still learning to crochet as im a very basic knitter. What’s your Facebook page and I will visit like and share your fabulous work.
    Many inspired thanx
    Liz Williams x

10. Pat Lehnen says:

These fishies are really cute. I would like to make some for a charity event at our church this coming December. I will be sure to credit your design on each one. May I?

11. bbgirl3191 says:

I love all your stuff Twinkie! I made your goldfish between classes recently. I’m not much of a brooch girl, so I made it into a hair clip! I’ve gotten so many complements. Then my mother asked me to make mini ones to use as pins for the workers at our church nursery. I had to change your pattern, because whenever I crochet in rounds I end up with ugly seams. I was hoping to send you some pics.

12. Pingback: Free Crochet Pattern + WIWT: Bee and PuppyCat! | Twinkie Chan Blog

13. Eliza says:

I was reading these notes and I too have picked up the hooks since I can’t work..I kinda modified your candy bar clutch since my 14grands aren’t old enough or wouldn’t carry….BUT I MADE A SINGLE. SIDE AND AM MAKING SCARFS,! We shall see if I complete in time to mail out for CHRISTMAS.”…..
    But I noticed someone said there is a tutorial for Slushie cups? Where could I find it? I have Tweens that may carry these….oh so many grands…LOL
    I love your designs and will order book….it’s on my Christmas list…so we’ll see if my family gets it for me if not I’ll order hee hee!
    So until then I’m crocheting the freebies and am starting these fish now…I need 14….no teachers would love this too..maybe 30……lol
    Thanks so much!
    I have small purpose now!
    Eliza