From Sketch to Scarf: Tea Party!

When I first begin to design a new pattern, I start with a simple sketch.

The simpler, the better. The sketch helps me break my ideas down into simple shapes, and it also helps me organize and plan colors. The sketch is not really meant to be seen by anyone or show off my fancy drawing skills. It is simply the tool I use in the designing process.

After the sketch, I go and buy yarn, and then start to crochet. Sometimes, there’s a lot of trial and error. Always, there’s a lot of taking apart of things and starting over. While this particular design wasn’t overly complicated, for some reason it just took me a lot longer than I’d planned! I was happy to re-visit the tea cup pattern again, though. Now that I have it written down, you will probably see some tea cup scarves available in my shop very soon! Until then, check out the finished Tea Party scarf!

I didn’t get a chance to take a picture of me wearing the scarf, because I was literally still sewing it together minutes before the Express Mail deadline, and I had to get it out to a special somebody before Christmas! Plus, I hadn’t really slept in days. Nobody wants to see that! :P

37 Responses to From Sketch to Scarf: Tea Party!

1. Maggi says:

O.M.G. This is awesomeeeeeeeeeeee!

2. Emily Bryan says:

That is the most adorable scarf ever! It is so beautifully intricate :) Love it <3

3. Christel says:

Haha, simple sketch…. already beautiful. And I love the scarf…

4. this is amazing!!! i love alice in wonderland.. i’ve lately been having Kerli’s “tea party” as my background music lately

I tried to tone down the alice in it because I feel weird about using other artists’/companies’ imagery, but it’s hard to say no to a mom buying a gift for her daughter! :P

5. Kasi says:

Oh, Twinkie, amazing as usual!

6. So precious!! I love what you do!

7. Marina says:

awesome! i loved alice in wonderland,when i was little.

8. Lauren K. says:

THAT IS THE BEST SCARF EVER!!!! i have always loved alice in wonderland!!!

9. Melissa says:

LOOOOOVE!!! Will u include this in your next book?

I tend to try to not make things that depict imagery belonging to another artist or company, so I probably wouldn’t sell a patter for the exact things pictured here :). I’m not sure what my thoughts on a 2nd book are yet. I like providing patterns who want to make items for themselves and their friends, but then people end up using the patterns to sell product on Etsy, and it just creates competition for my own store! Not quite sure how to forward yet!

10. Jamieson says:

I love this scarf! Especially the detached “eat me” tag, pretty colors too:)

11. bernadette smith says:

Its so pretty. looKs like it took for ever.

12. jacci says:

love the tea cups!

13. Emily says:

that is super awesome!! thanks for sharing some of your creative process!

tea cups for the win!

14. Lynne says:

Awesome scarf! Love your creativeness. I asked and got your book for Christmas. We all had a great time looking through it. I went out and bought yarn and started making the pizza scarf last night. Great way to clear the DVR. I still have one more gift exchange with DH’s family. I thought this would be fun and a conversation piece.

15. Nicole says:

I’m confused are you working on a second book??

16. That’s brilliant – love it! I design cross stitch kits, and hardly ever pre-plan my designs. I tend to scribble all over the canvas with texta, and go from there! Not very organised, but I find that too much organising crimps the creative process ;)

17. Lady J says:

What a brilliant piece! The person who gets this scarf is very lucky. I am obsessed with two things. Cupcakes and tea. Well, actually I’m obsessed with more than two things. Anyway, I think making tea themed scarves would be very cool. I remember you were going to make a hot cocoa in cups themed scarf but I don’t think it was ever for sale. If you ever post a tea in tea cup scarf on etsy, I’m all over it!

18. Janine says:

I hope you make some for your shop! My left arm is a huge Alice sleeve and I’d love a scarf to match. :)

19. i’m having twinkiechan withdrawals..haha

20. Piper says:

Although it is a simple design, it is still so fun and adorable. I know it’s being loved.

21. Messypink says:

OMG I want!!! this is so cute! :D will you be making this for your store?

Hi Hi! I’ll be making tea cup scarves soon, and maybe tea party themes (with cookies, tea, and cakes), but probably not an Alice in Wonderland theme….. I think I’m too sensitive about intellectual property issues to even go there….hehe … or at least ask my lawyer first if I can get away with saying it’s my artistic interpretation!