This Cowl Girl Got the Blues.

So the other day I popped into Imagiknit to buy some yarnage, and they got in more yarn from Knit Collage. Ugh, how can any self-respecting yarn lover not lust over their yarn!? I picked up two skeins!

Bubble Gum Twist and Emerald Rainforest. I love all the little flowers and sparkly bits and sequins and just all the little neat surprises that are sewn into these yarns.

(above images pulled from Knit Collage site)

This yarn is SO lumpy and bumpy and CHUNKY. With crochet being so dense, I knew I couldn’t complete a whole project with just one skein of Knit Collage, so I pulled some other chunky yarns to go with it: merino wools from Cascade and Knit Picks. When it comes to wool, I’ve found I can only wear merino close to the skin!

I decided to make a moebius cowl since I think that cowls with a twist tend to look less weird on me.

And I snapped some pics in my bubblegum bathroom!

I still kinda don’t “get” cowls. I like that they work up really quick. I like that they just kinda stay put. But they just don’t seem that warm to me. If it has to be big enough to get over my big ol’ head, then it doesn’t really make contact with my neck, and it seems like all the cold air can rush in and attack!! So outside, I didn’t think this was very warm. However, just for noodling around in the house, it did make me feel cozy, like being hugged by a sheep.

Am I approaching this whole cowl thing wrong? Are they not supposed to be superwarm? Are they more like a snazzy woolen necklace? Is my head just too big?!? I might have to be one of those cowl girls who has button-up cowls, so that they fit a bit more snug around my heck, and I don’t have to get it past my noggin!

31 Responses to This Cowl Girl Got the Blues.

1. Sheralynn says:

Buttons definitely help with keeping you warmer if the cowl is too large – I know crochet cowls don’t stretch enough, so you have to make them bigger to get over your head, but knitted ones stretch a fair bit, so they can still remain snug against your neck but still can be pulled over your head!

That cowl is so super cute though. I love the little flowers!

2. Brianna says:

Being the George Lopez – headed person that I am, I’d have to say from expirience that buttons or some sort of fastening device are better, lol.

AH yes, next time next time! Usually when I make “neckwarmers” for Etsy I use buttons. I figured I’d experiment with buttonless, but….I just can’t see how they work well!!

3. Maggi says:

I’ve been wanting some of that Knit Collage yarn!! I don’t really get cowls either…

By now that I know a crocheter that has used Knit Collage, what hook did you have to use?

Well, since I was working the Knit Collage in with the other yarns, I didn’t use the proper size probably. I went a bit bigger than usual, like an M, but if I were just making a project with only knit collage, I would go even bigger!

4. Sylvette Marie says:

Cute colors I love Pink and the blue one also is cute

5. Kayleigh says:

I really want some thick yarn! I tend to stick to DK so then all my colours are the same thickness, but I thick the really thick yarns look much nicer to wear.

6. Lee says:

So what happens if you try to cut your moebius thingamajig in two?

7. Amie says:

Cute!! You know what would be cool? Cowls that look like food!! Like a doughnut, but they would be really hard… Have you done a doughnut(donut in america) scarf?? Would be cool! Love your work and you’re soooo sweet!!
    Amie x

I made a waffle cowl once :) with square yellow “butter” buttons.

I’ve thought about a donut scarf, but the donuts would probably stretch out and look all mutated. I’ve sketched a lot of other foodie cowls, but just never made them since I feel that getting the sizing right with cowls is so weird!

8. you cowls are very pretty! i really like your red licorice & candy grass with mushroom buttons neckwarmer! agree that buttons make all the difference!

9. Jules Chan says:

Looks good, so who needs to be warm? Nice one.

10. Reb says:

That is the sweetest yarn, I have never seen it before! I don’t like things close to my neck, so I love my/your scarfs big & long, no cowls for me to wear, but I have made them for my daughter! Yours is so sweet!

11. Sarah says:

That yarn looks awesome!

12. Helen says:

I don’t get cowls either. In fact up until a few months ago, reading crochet magazines, I never even knew they existed! I’ve NEVER seen anyone wear one here in Australia. If it is cold enough to want to warm your neck a scarf is definitely the way to go :) But yours is very pretty. I love your yarn.

I feel like I see cowls worn here, but they are very loose, and more like a big necklace. I suppose it adds a bit of warmth, but just not as much as an actual scarf!

13. Donna says:

The pink is adorable =) I usually make cowls that are buttoned up. I choke myself sometimes because it is freezing that badly in the mornings! I bought a huge cowl that can make me look like Mother Mary – I get made fun of a lot with that one, but it is knitted. I prefer crocheted w/ a button & knitted without. Maybe I should make a knitted one sometime.

anyhow, love your blog very much =)

14. caz says:

Those yarns look so amazing! We don’t have anything so cool round here :-( In fact my yarn shop is pretty basic BOOO! I have to be honest I have never warn a cowl and they don’t reallya ppeal although they cn look super cute!!

15. chinamommy says:

VERY cute!! I don’t know if cowls are suppose to be warm or now- the one I made is still in the corner waiting for me to sew the ends together :) LOVE that yarn!! Honestly, is your melon THAT big-maybe i need your head next to a head you consider normal size so I can be the judge-haha!

16. chinamommy says:

yeah…. that was “warm or NOT…”