I Want To Be … A Crochet Queen! (Interview with Gala Darling)

I need to upload photos from my epic (Ok, I need to start using an alternative to the word “epic” … how about “bitchin”?) L.A. week/weekend, but in the meantime, please check out my contribution to Gala Darling’s “I want to be …” series about people with interesting/unique occupations! This is probably one of the most detailed articles you’ll ever read about my adventures in turning a hobby into a career.

Click on the pic of me biting a blinged out crochet hook to see the article!

p.s. I am signing books tomorrow/this Tuesday at Books, Inc. in Berkeley at 7pm. Come say hi, East Bay! Free gift baggies while they last! :)

22 Responses to I Want To Be … A Crochet Queen! (Interview with Gala Darling)

1. poohknit says:

WOW!!! Great interview!!! I enjoyed getting to know you a bit better. You have a great outlook on life. I’m sortof a fulltime knitter/more crocheter myself and I LOVE it. Ido alot of charity stuff and for my grandkids and friends. I also test patterns for 2 designers which is nice and helps out with a wee bit of cash. I’ve even done models for one of the designers books, which is totally cool!!! Knitting/crocheting is who I am and what I do.
    lois

2. Kt says:

Every little thing you had to say was so inspiring and informative, and very helpful to me! I don’t crochet, but I’m trying to find and carve my own path in my art career. I look up to you and commend you for all of the hard work and success you share with everyone! Thank you so much. <3

3. Tams says:

Lady, this is so good! I am so glad actually that you admitted things were not always so fantastic (financially, at least) because sometimes it is good to have a reality check. But I am also super the most happy that things are going so well for you!

4. Amie says:

I bought your book!!! Aaaaaaaah!!!! So freaking excited!!! I just wish the post man get a move on! :D :D :D

5. Maggi says:

Wow, what a great interview! Thank you for being so honest and open, what an inspiration!

I’ve been a fan of yours for a while now but I have to tell you that once I read through your book, I really felt like I had found a kindred (crafty) spirit! I love your realistic and blunt (for lack of a better word) approach to crocheting.

Like in your book when you provide affordable yarn selections and admit your wariness of hats. Your book is the first that I’ve immediately started a project, actually finished it (lol) and then immediately started another one. It’s the first crochet book I’ve had where the diagrams are actually helpful and easy to understand. lol

I prefer off beat and quirky crochet myself (we need more books and ideas like yours in this industry!) so your book was a God send and I can only hope you write more in the future!

Now, just one more question because I’m obsessed with everything sparkly: where did you get the bling-y hook?!?!

Thank you for being you and sharing your talents with us! :D

Maggi! Thank you so much for the thoughtful comment. I’ve always just had a “I’m wingin’ it!” attitude toward my crochet, and I never wanted to pretend that I knew exactly what I was doing in my book :P :P :P. Lord knows I probably do things the wrong way or a weird way since I am by and large self taught.

I blinged out my own hooks! :) Gold spray paint, glue, and lots and lots of rhinestones :)

• Maggi says:

I’m self taught for the most part too, maybe that’s why your book is so easy for me to understand. LOL

Thanks for the bling tip, I just might have to do that to my some of mine. Glitter FTW!

6. so excited that you did this interview! i love gala’s site, and it was definitely interesting hearing your take on the ‘business’ side of twinkie chan! very inspiring, indeed! :)

7. ladybastard says:

COME TO ITALYYYYY! PLEASE! <3

8. Sarah says:

Love that interview Twinkie! You express yourself so succinctly with words, as well as your craft. It was interesting to read how you felt like a “fraud” in the publishing industry at times. I’ve felt that way before in my previous job as part of the marketing/corporate scene. I left earlier this year, in favour of taking a more creative path. It’s hard to carve your own little niche in the beginning, and I have no formal training, but slowly, slowly. It’s a discovery process. I’m not exactly stuck in the most “creative” city, in fact, our biggest industry here is mining. Oh well, your interview certainly inspired me!

9. BABY D says:

the new issue of east bay express is already out so i couldnt get a hardcopy of the article but here is the digital copy..