Ringing in the New Year with a ball-winder!

Hairy’s mom got me a ball-winder for Xmas, which is really cool!

I tried it out tonight for the first time with some Cascade 220 at 4 in the morning and made you a little short video.

You’ll notice that in the beginning, the ball-winder’s clamp falls off. Oops!!! I don’t have a swift (yet!) so I still have the yarn wrapped around my knees, which can lead to some snagging still. But anyway, I imagine if you have kids, this would be a fun activity for them. It’s pretty cool!

1st time using a ball winder! from Twinkie Chan on Vimeo.

This entry was posted in Videos. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Ringing in the New Year with a ball-winder!

1. Abby says:

oh that’s pretty. Do it make center pull balls?

2. Kahl says:

I HAVE THAT SHIRT TOO!

Oh god that thing looks fun, it looks like you wind it by hand?

I just started crocheting and I really enjoy making the balls of yarn myself. I used the thumb tip off one of your blogs ages ago.

3. dana says:

oooh the ball winder — how i love it so! my mom won an EXTRA years ago so i have had one for eons and i am so much less prolific than you – it is so beautiful to get that perfectly put together ball of yarn… smorgeous and soooo easy to work with & so appropriate to have supergrass singing us into the new year! good job hairy!

i’m interested in seeing how this deals with bulkier yarn? i know they make winders for extra big balls or something, so i am hoping i don’t end up having to cute hanks into two balls!

4. dana says:

My mistake… good move Hairy’s MOM! Yay!

5. Polly says:

My mum used to have one of those when she had a knitting business and I loved playing with it! I never managed to actually make a ball of yarn though. Yours looks really good and even. I think she might still have it in a cupboard somewhere, I should try to dig it out and use it.

6. Michelle says:

I got one of those for my mom and I for Christmas! It’s super great once you get the hang of it. I swear I got the yarn stuck in those gears under the spindle thing at least 4 times at first.

7. Michelle says:

Ok that looks so cool. And the yarn looks like cotton candy. Very pretty. Hope you and Hairy have a lovely New Years. :-)

8. Maggi says:

Oooooo that looks fun! I love crafty type gadgets!